The Animus was created by Abstergo Industries in the latter half of the 20th century, basing it on previously discovered First Civilization technology. Although at least partially influenced by the discovery of the Memory Seals, the software architecture used by the Animus is not based upon them. Dr. Warren Vidic's leading authority on genetic memory guided the machine's development and so he became the overseer of the Animus Project.
While working in Moscow in 1977, William Miles stole a copy of an early Animus blueprint, but was chased by Templars. Meeting a fellow Assassin in the city zoo, William gave her the designs before making his escape, telling her to build the Animus before the Templars could and to keep him informed of her progress. The woman, who was an Assassin scientist in nearby Protvino, was eventually able to build her own machine off of these plans.
The earliest known use of an Animus was in 1980, when Dr. Vidic began his experiments with an unknown male codenamed Subject 1. It was from these sessions that Abstergo was eventually able to extract the genetic memories of Aveline de Grandpré. Unfortunately, the Animus was extremely unstable, causing the subject to go into a fatal seizure. To counter the setback, Vidic wiretapped the offices and laboratories of his colleague Aileen Bock, using her work with the Surrogate Initiative to further his own research.
By 1983, Vidic had developed a more stable version of the Animus and used it to manipulate the genetic memory of Subject 4 of the Animus Project; Daniel Cross. Since then, the machine has gone through several major cosmetic and technical alterations, but even by 2012, Abstergo had not yet managed to perfect it.
Meanwhile, the Russian Assassin who had received the blueprints from William Miles had successfully constructed her own Animus, and began testing it on her fellow Assassins in her cell. However, most of them lost their minds, unaware of the effects of prolonged exposure to the Animus. In an effort to understand more about the machine, the woman subjected herself to the Animus, but also went mad, leading her to eventually force every member of her cell into the machine. Only her daughter Galina kept her sanity, as the cell quickly became little more than a band of feral killers, losing all contact with the outside world.
By 2000, the appearance of the Animus bore a resemblance to a chair, and required a lot of external wiring to properly function. This version of the Animus was used by Daniel Cross upon his return to Abstergo's Philadelphia facility in November 2000.
In the two subsequent years, the machine underwent major technological and visual changes yet again. As noted by Vidic's assistant Dr. Sung, subjects who were used to the model commissioned in 2000 would have difficulty interfacing with the newer model. The newer model bore a closer resemblance to a bed and had a chrome-colored appearance, though a cushion was nonetheless used for the subject's comfort.
By 2002, Abstergo had also begun to produce Animi in greater numbers. A large Animi room had been created in their Philadelphia facility, and another one later in their Rome facility. The Animi room in Philadelphia was utilized to relive the memories of Assassins captured during the Great Purge, including Paul Bellamy.
主体颜色为亮银色，而机器内部则会发出亮蓝色。在2012年，Animus已更新至版本1.28，並設計出比以前的形號更加的舒適。This model was notably used for the Animus Project inside the Rome facility's laboratory, and later in the Animi Training Program in the Rome facility's Animi room.
与 Animus 1.0 相较之下，Animus 2.0 有着许多不同的设定，不管是物质上或是它所投射出的三维世界。例如背景颜色从冰蓝色改为白色，以及整个记忆区域每次在存取时会缓慢构筑起来Animus 2.0 在外观上也有大幅的改变，2.0版的Animus 实际上就是一把椅子，提升了使用者的舒适性。但也因为这项设定的关系，如果使用者想要存取基因记忆时就必须要在手臂上插入导管与 Animus 作联系。尽管在这些改进的帮助下，Animus机器的翻译软体仍会遇到翻译延迟的情况，而且也无法阻止长时间使用所带来的流血效应或称渗透效应 (Bleeding effect)
Upon waking from his comatose state, Desmond entered the Animus 3.0 to relive the memories of yet another of his ancestors. As he did with the Animus 2.0, Shaun continued to write database entries for the Animus 3.0 system. The 3.0 upgrade was made during Desmond's time in a coma, and was mainly a software upgrade which included a new user interface and changes to the puppeteering motion controls. However, the hardware of the Animus remained the same as before.
The Animus did go through cosmetic changes, though nothing drastically different from the Animus 2.0. The main difference was that the Animus equipment, namely the head and arm rests, no longer needed to be attached to a chair in order to function, meaning that the Animus could be set up on almost any flat surface. This made it much more portable, being able to be carried down into the Grand Temple in a trio of boxes carried by Rebecca, Shaun and William Miles.
该模拟器是一个Abstergo项目必不可少的一部分，Sophia Rikkin博士牵头，这集中的刺客后裔如Callum Lynch或Moussa。
Abstergo Animus 使用指南中指出，HR-8机型可以折叠为一只手提箱大小。为安全起见，起先的脑膜连接机制被新的血液连接所取代。新机制收集使用者血红细胞中存储的信息并将数据传输至所有器官中，这与Animus 4.3仅将信息传导至大脑的做法不同。
- 主要词条: DDS
The Data Dump Scanner, more commonly referred to as the DDS, was the software that, in conjunction with the Animus, allowed the user to relive extracted memories. The DDS could allow the user to relive any pre-recorded memories, regardless of whether they were blood related, through uploading the extracted memories from another person's genetic memory.
The software was invented and used by Abstergo Industries, who used it in their Project Legacy to obtain information on the Assassins and Pieces of Eden, among other things, and in their Animi Training Program to train their agents. Memories used in the projects had been previously extracted from certain individuals by the company.
- 主要词条: 同步率
- 主要词条: 出血效應
使用任何种类的Animus技术都将导致使用者出现精神不稳定的情况。长时间的使用将引发名为“流血效应”或称“渗透效应”(Bleeding Effect) 的副作用。这现象使得使用者对本身记忆与基因记忆出现认知混淆，使得前人的思想、技巧与经验等转移到后代身上。
在《刺客信条 2》里则扩展了Animus的使用。 Animus成为了与新世界的联系装置，包括了历史地点、人物以及历史年代的相关资讯。作为模组工具开发的这项功能让游戏研发员能尽情开发各种走向，不管是额外记忆、多人模式角色或者其他内容。制作人Sebastien Puel在一次与 IncGamers的访谈中提到︰
- In Assassin's Creed, the Animus acted only as a machine and plot element, allowing Desmond to play through Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad's memories; in Assassin's Creed II, its use was expanded. The Animus became an interface to a new world, including information about historical locations, people, and time periods. It was also developed as a modular tool, allowing Ubisoft to explore any aspect, be it additional memories, multiplayer or other content.
- A different design of the Animus was used by Jonathan Hawk in the third volume of the Les Deux Royaumes comic series. However this design is not canon.
- 在Animus 1.28版本里的互动读取画面冲刺够长的一段时间后会发现Animus画面上那些闪烁出现的乱数讯息消失了，只留下一片蓝色模糊的区域。此外，阿泰尔可能会撞上隐形的障碍。
- 在《刺客信条》里重新体验记忆并在记忆开始时会有一帧的画面出现不寻常的红褐色调。这情况发生于戴斯蒙德的脸部里，尤其在记忆开始时的三种视角: 从后往前、从前往后以及上下颠倒。 当视线角度往后退一点时，会卡在戴斯蒙德的脸上。如果画面定格的话可以清楚看到他的眉毛、鼻子以及嘴唇出现异色。
- At one point, Desmond praised the Animus 2.0 for having subtitles to make up for the laggy translation software. This was a reference to how there was no option for subtitles in the Animus 1.28.
- 一旦玩家完成了《兄弟会》的主线故事后会因为戴斯蒙德进入了昏迷状态的关系，导致“离开 Animus”的选项被移除。
- 另一种更旧设计的Animus也就是丹尼尔．克洛斯所使用的机种，可以在《刺客信条︰陨落》(Assassin's Creed: The Fall) 里看到。 整体设计让人联想到躺椅，在顶部有着金属遮罩以及多块钢板从背部延伸出来。
- Animus 1.28在每款主要游戏里皆有出现，直到刺客信條IV：黑旗；它在刺客信條和刺客信條II被戴斯蒙德使用，在《兄弟会》和《启示录》以及《刺客信條III》被阿布斯泰戈的雇員使用。It was also showcased among the older Animus models, in the files obtained by the Abstergo Entertainment research analyst, in Black Flag.
- 通信者在其留下的第六则讯息中提到Animus是人类超越其自身极限的关键，却因其受制于秩序的控制而具有根本性的缺陷，而蕾拉·哈桑所使用的Animus或许具有突破桎梏的潜力。目前未知这与新改造的Animus HR-8机型是否有关。
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 刺客信條IV：黑旗
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 刺客信條
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 刺客信條：起始
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 刺客信條：隕落 - 期刊#3
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 刺客信條：鎖鍊
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 刺客信條II
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 刺客信條：兄弟會
- ↑ 刺客信條：啟示錄
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 刺客信條III
- ↑ 刺客信條III：自由使命
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 刺客信條：傳承計畫
- ↑ 刺客信條：梟雄 - 資料庫：阿尔瓦罗·格拉玛提卡
- ↑ 刺客信條 遊戲手冊
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 IGTV: Behind The Scenes - Assassin's Creed 2